Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I am a Pregnancy, Birth, Breastfeeding and Postpartum Nerd

If you haven't already noticed, I am a nerd.  Specifically about birth and everything having to do with it.  It is my passion.  I met a midwife when I was about 13 or 14.  I never knew that they existed and knew as soon as I learned about what she did I wanted to do that.  I also wanted to be a mom and had an interest in photography.  Still do.  :)

I tried to become a midwife when I got older.  I was told that since I didn't have children no one would want to hire me.  So I should wait until I had kids.  Well for someone who was told I would never have kids, this was a kick in the bottom to say the least.  I gave up on that dream then.

Fast forward many years and because of my first two births I went through training to become a Birth Doula and Childbirth Educator.  I loved it.  I didn't work as much as I wanted to, but I still adored it.  Learning all about the process was so enlightening.  I thought I knew a lot, but I had no clue.

After having Bella, I stopped being a Doula.  It didn't seem right to me anymore.  I knew how birth could be.  I knew it could be healing instead of damaging.  I knew that the things that doctors and some midwives would say were false.  I couldn't sit and watch the train wreck anymore.

Do not get me wrong...being a Doula is fantastic if you have a servants heart and wish to comfort and mother a woman and her family in labor.  I realized that is not my gig.  My gig is working with a mother and family to make her birth as close to how she dreams it will be as possible and to help her understand and deal with the whys after if it didn't happen that way.  That is what I want to do.

I talk about birth a lot in my normal life.  I try to help people as best as I can through any questions they have.  So all this birth talk on my blog isn't just because I am preggo.  :)  It is because it is a passion of mine.  

Oh and that whole midwife thing?  It's gonna happen.  Just give me some time.  Sooner or later I will be catching babies right along side some of my closest friends.  Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment